The Making of a Garden

May-August 2010

My (Quelcy) day job at a green-tech, start-up company provided the perfect application for my garden primer lessons.  Everyone at work loved the idea of fresh vegetables and herbs just outside the office door.  You will see many hands at work and harvesting lunch in the backyard of the company.

Who knows what used to be in the soil at our lot?!?!  Well, we knew of a few things:  glass shards, debris, rocks and robots!  Before we occupied the building, there was a robotics company that tested what had to be top secret terminator robots in the lot, so they loved the Mars like landscape.  In between the robot olympics and us, there was an archaeological dig for Civil War artifacts and consequently, a whole bunch of sink holes.  All that being said, we weren’t about to plant directly in the soil, so the garden story began at a lumber yard just a few blocks away.

The company just rents the building and the lot, so we needed to design something flexible.  As we have the equipment, the idea arose to raise the raised beds.  This way, we have the option to move them with the fork lift if need be.  It helps to have lots of tools and machinery as resources and engineer minds thinking up ways to use them!

Voila!  Box #1

We drilled holes in the bottoms of the bed for drainage.

Then added two coats of sealant but only to the outer surfaces lest the soil absorb the sealant.

The ideas really started flowing after the inaugural raised bed.  The next two were double deckers.  This would prevent the plants from competing for light.

When it was time to fill our beds, we called our new friends at Steel City Soils for a delivery of rich, dark soil.

Raised beds ready for action!

Here is another example of creative minds and unique resources.  In the midst of the garden project, we took over the lease on the adjacent warehouse.  There was a massive drain inside that was no longer necessary, and our clever contractor had the idea that I might fancy it as a planter.  I did indeed!  This was no backyard DIY project.  That thing was massive!

It’s a really great day when you return to your desk with hands covered in soil.

The garden project came to fruition a tad bit late in the planting season, so we bought starters from The East End Food Co-op.

I tried French Sorrel (pictured on the right) for the first time this season, and it was love at first bite!  It was a must in the selection of starters.  It has such a strong, lemony flavor.  It’s a tremendous asset to a locally focused diet.

We also cast some wildflower seeds.  It was rewarding to watch them defy all the obstacles the backyard presented:  trampling, birds, glass shards, remnants of who knows what chemicals/minerals in the soil, etc.

Lunchtime harvesting.

The purple flowers are borage.  I wasn’t familiar with it before this garden experience, but Ed brought the seeds and had a wonderful idea.

You see, borage puts the finishing touch on a Pimm’s Cup!

We sat back, drank the alcohol disguised as fruit punch and enjoyed the yard.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s